Saturday, December 31, 2011

Becoming - In a new year

Last night I chose my word for the One Little Word project -

Becoming

Becoming a better person in many ways

1. spiritually - becoming more Christ - like
2. financially - becoming stable and secure
3. mother - becoming the best I can be to both of my kids
4. grandmother - becoming the active grandparent in their lives.
5. Friend -becoming someone they can count on to be there both in good times and bad.

The thoughts of losing Claudia, knowing that her daughter and family stood right beside her until the end, the friendship she had with all of us - not ever meeting us, the kindness in her heart, among many other attributes has made me decided to become a better person. Now knowing she is gone - I know that is the word for me. I am honored to have known such a wonderful woman even tho I never met her in person. Claudia had a heart as big as anyone that I have ever know. She was generous with her time and talents - sent boxes to Operation Write Home, sent inspiring and uplifting emails if she read sadness in someone's post - just a Real Live Angel.

Claudia's spirit lives on in her family but especially in her daughter Melissa. Getting to know Missy these past few weeks, I can see why she has always been proud of her daughter. Missy is a strong person - there when she was needed - holding up the family and stepping into her mother's shoes. Love ya girlfriend.

This has been a hard year for me with losing my job, decline in my health, financial and family issues just to name a few. I feel that part of the reason this is happening is due to my failure to look UP. Instead I have had a negative attitude and feeling sorry for myself. Its time to hitch up the boot straps and get on with living to the best of my ability. But in doing so not to forget to always LOOK UP AND THANK GOD FOR ALL THE TRIALS AND BLESSINGS IN MY LIFE on a daily basis.

My Grandmother passed away 30 years ago on New Year's Eve and it wasn't until her passing did we know that she did not like New Years Eve and what it stood for. She was a survivor of the World War II, a wife and mother - but it meant she was getting another year older. So it was fitting that she passed before the New Year

New Year's will always be a tribute to these 2 beautiful women who went to Heaven to prepare a place for the rest of us. I don't look at it as dying, but moving to a new home. That is the way my other Grandma Elsie always told us - "I am not dying, I am moving to my other home".






No comments: