Friday, October 5, 2012

Time Management

I was asked to write an article for time management using a garden tool as an example.  I have been pondering this for a week or so and I went to water my plants and the hose got kinked.  That got me to thinking - so here goes.

Have you ever pinched or kinked your garden hose?  What happens - it builds pressure and either stretches the hose weakening it or it burst.  Clutter is the same way - the pinched areas or kinks are the areas in your life and home that you need to take care of like your desk, pantry (in my case), paper piles, etc. in order for you to feel organized and remove the kink.

In anything we do 20% is critical and the other 80% is trivial for the most part. What I mean by that is that being busy feels like progress, but it is important that progress is not confused with activity or being busy.  We need to take the time each day, week, month to review your planner and see what is the 3 MIT's (most important tasks) to get done the next day.  I recommend limiting your MIT's to only 3 as there are interruptions, slump time - that period in the day where you 1) reward yourself for finishing a project or 2) that time for recharging such as lunch or coffee break or light nap.

Once you have determined your 3 MIT's and listed them on your daily list, you can then focus all your attention of those items.

In order to know which tasks are MIT's and which can wait it is critical that you are clear on your goals.  Take a picture of your goal and place it where you can see it - on your refrigerator, desk, taped to the bathroom mirror, etc.  This will help you keep your goals in sight as well as motivate you to work on achieving them faster - giving you a feeling of satisfaction and contentment.

Starting a project is the hardest part of any project or task regardless of the size. We have the tendency to make excuses as to why we can't do it - to difficult, not enough time, missing tools to complete, etc.  Lucky for us we can overcome this easily.  The first step is to break the project down in steps and determine what supplies are needed for each step.  Breaking down the larger projects into smaller steps keeps it from being mentally overwhelming as if you look at the whole projects.

For example - I am very old fashion and still iron everything - pillowcases, scarves, placemats and clothing.  Looking at a basket of ironing seems overwhelming.  But when I sort it into piles of pants/shorts, shirts, scarves and accessories - it is not so overwhelming.  I then gather the items I need, water for the steam iron, spray starch for the collars and pillow cases/scarves/etc (love them crisp), the iron and ironing board, and hangers (pant and regular).  I get the plastic pant hangers at WalMart whenever I go in (they are free) and I use them to hang my pants, shorts and placemats/scarves on.  Keeps them neater and no fold lines on pants.  I then either crank up the stereo or watch a movie and get it done.  Lately it has been relaxing to iron and rock out!

Getting back on topic - grab your timer.  I strongly suggest that you spend the couple of dollars that once costs (or set your oven time or alarm on your phone), set the timer for 15 minutes.  Start the task and remember it doesn't matter how much you complete in that 15 minutes - you have started on your project and you have the momentum started.  Once you have reached the 15 minutes you will be more likely to continue and reset your time for more 15 minute intervals.

Today I totally emptied my pantry and was able to organize, toss, inventory and put back the items in 45 minutes.  By breaking it up, it wasn't so overwhelming and it definitely was a task I had put off way too long.

When you work with clear and simple guidelines it forces you yo focus your attention on getting the most important parts of the project or tasks done.  When you allot to much time for a task, we tend to make a mountain out of a molehill.  This can cause all kinds of stress and anxiety. This in itself can cause physical as well as mental problems.

When I struggle and can't break a project down into manageable tasks (can't see the trees for the forest syndrome), I step back and ask myself  - "What steps would I take if I have to complete this project in 1/2 the time".  (This may or may not work for you if you have a strict deadline for a work related project - I am referring to home projects.)  I also see what shortcuts I can make and still have the project to my satisfaction. (Being a perfectionist - this in itself is a project for me.)

Knowing that life doesn't always go according to plan, mak3es me realize that I must PAD time into my projects.  If I have an appointment, I plan to be at least 10 minutes early and I try to never be late.  The unexpected can happen - flat tire, heavy traffic due to an accident, kids sick, etc.  Good time managers know this also and will tell you to allot extra time into your daily schedule to allow for such unexpected issues.

That is why to me, writing down and listing my 3 MIT's for the day, gets them done!  If you don't allot time for these MIT's then some sort of stuff or the next mini crisis will occur and make these things less important.  I have a basic plan for my day and write my 3 MIT's down and cross them off as they are completed.  (That gives me pride in a sense that I accomplished them.)

Are you a morning, afternoon or night-owl.  I visited my dear friend Lynnim and it was evident that we were totally opposite.  It was partly due to our life styles (I worked days and slept nights, her husband worked nights and slept days so she stayed up at night and slept during the days as well.)  I totally messed her schedule up the week that I was there - got her up and motivated to run the roads with me - one of the most fulfilling vacations I had had in a long time. Anyway - what ever your "Prime" time is, you need to plan your schedule accordingly to do your MIT's when the most effort and energy is during this peak/prime time.

Keeping that in mind, multi tasking actually causes the task to take longer to finish each tasks versus concentrating on one task at a time.  Multi-tasking causes your brain to bounce back and forth between the tasks.  Do this switching can also impair your learning abilities.  Bottom line - multi-tasking is a waste of time.

Don't forget you also need time to recharge - not only with rest but fuel.  Stress affects our bodies - from your cardiovascular to your weight.  It affects your ability to learn, your creativity levels (one of the reasons I scrapbook and make cards and other crafts - my stress relievers), moods as well as your immune system - you know that run down feeling.  Skipping things like exercise seems like a good thing to do, but it makes you less efficient and prone to injuries.  Stretching before beginning any task - especially first thing in the morning not only is smart but can revitalize you.  Build in time each day to take care of yourself and renew your energy levels.  Light snacks of fresh fruit and veggies versus a heavy lunch is what I prefer.

Finally - don't forget to ask for help from family, co-workers and friends (or even hire a contractor if necessary).  This will give you more time to focus on the really important matters as well as utilizing someone else's talents and skills.  That in itself will give them the opportunity to stretch their potential and shine too!

No comments: