Thursday, November 22, 2007

Gratitude Journal

I thought that today being Thanksgiving, it would be a good day to share some info on making a gratitude journal. There are tons of people, places, things, etc. that we can be thankful for and writing down at least 3 a day has been medically proven to reduce stress.

There are times when they flow out of my head and I can write pages, then there are days when I write I am thankful ............. and that may be the extent of it. I am always thankful for my family, friends, my freedom of worship, education, etc. I borrowed this list from someone else as to things to get me started. Please feel free to share yours.

11 Topices for gratitude journal:

1. Things that make me laugh.
2. Prayers of thanks
3. What I love about myself
4. Opportunities that I am thankful for
5. People who have changed my life (and the changes)
6. Life changing experiences
7. The job I love best
8. Relationships that make a difference.
9. Lifes lessons
10. What makes my house a home
11. My defining moments.

By having these topics near when I have that moment that I don't feel very thankful - it gives me the nudge to remember that no matter what life deals me I should be thankful for every experience and every breath I take. I needed to remember to be thankful on a daily basis and not just once a year on the National holiday.

To me giving thanks should be a natural characteristic as well as a life changing discipline. I think that as a believer of God - I should not leave him out of the things in my life. I have been guilty of leaving him out of my daily walk. Instead of pleading for more faith, I need to exercise the faith that I have. If you think about the many ways that you have faith on a daily basis - you will be surprised. For instance - every time you put the key in the ignition of your car - you have faith that the car will start. Or how about when you have been to the doctor and gotten a prescription - you take it to a pharmacist to fill it with the faith that he can (1) read the scribble on that sheet of paper (I know I sometimes have trouble reading my name - much less what is being prescribed.) and (2) that the correct drugs are dispensed. Or something as simple as flipping a switch to turn on the lights, tv, stove, etc - don't you have the faith that it will work!!!!

More later.......

No comments: